Thursday, August 23, 2007

Literally in Stitches


When you have kids life is never dull. Today Matt got his first stitches. He was sitting on his swing set and it gave way. The swing set is made of wood (Pappy and Uncle Tim built it when Matt was 2) and it has served all of G'ma's greatgrandkids well. But it was old and falling apart and decided to do it while Matt was on it. The wood beam broke and the sharp end came down on his left foot, taking a chunk of Matt's foot out with it. I got the call at work and got Barb and Joe to take over the store while I went with Matt and Pap to War Memorial Hospital. Dr. MacLaughlin put 5 stitches in the foot and said Matt will have a halfmoon scare. Matt did not cry during the cleaning, numbing or stitching (which he said was a breeze because his foot was numb!) and he watched everything the doctor did. I, myself, felt a bit "bottom-outie" watching the doctor hold the skin up and poke that curved needle through each time! Thank goodness the wound wasn't on his hand or I would have been on the floor!

So as of now soccer is out for a while; maybe for the fall season. School starts on Monday, Aug. 27, and I have to figure out how to have Matt go to school without a shoe on one foot. He is hopping around and he said he wished the doctor had given him one of those huge needles of numbing stuff to bring home for the pain. Matt has a real appreciation of Novocaine now.

1 comment:

No1sRed said...

I'm so sorry Matty-Man had to go the stitches route. Please give him a big hug from me for being a big boy and doing so well!